Saint Louis Art Museum
The Saint Louis Art Museum has contributed more than 2900 images of its permanent collection to the Artstor Digital Library.
The selection in Artstor represents both the highlights and the scope of the museum's encyclopedic collection of more than 34,000 objects, from Pre-Columbian to contemporary art across global cultures and through time. A single sequence of the range encompasses a Sumerian figurine, a dynastic Egyptian faience hippo, masks from Alaska, Cote d’Ivoire and New Guinea, paintings by Giacomo Pontormo and Rosa Bonheur, and a photograph by Thomas Struth.
Founded in 1879, the Saint Louis Art Museum is one of the leading comprehensive art museums in the country. The museum's building was originally designed by architect Cass Gilbert as the Palace of Fine Arts for the 1904 World's Fair and bears the inscription "Dedicated to Art and Free to All." The dedication reflects the museum's long-standing commitment to free admission and providing access to its collections and programs to a broad public audience.